City of Fruita – Parks and Recreation

Commercial Use or Special Event Permits are for events that will take place within public streets or on other City-owned property, such as City parks and trails. Please call 970-858-0360 If you need help with the permitting process.

Depending on the nature of your proposed Filmmaking Production, other City permits may be required in addition to, or place of, the Special Event Permit.


Point of contact for the City of Fruita – Parks and Recreation – Fruita Community Center

324 N. Coulson St. Fruita, CO, 81521

Fill out completed applications of the Special Event Application. Payments can be made with a credit card in person or  over the phone by calling


Fees & Links

Commercial Use Photo or Video Permit

  • Case by Case

Special Event Permit

  • $25 Application Fee
  • $100 Deposit

When do you need a permit to film on City of Fruita Property?

The City of Fruita will require an application fee and a Fee on a case-by-case basis for the professional use of still photography equipment, motion picture equipment, or other videotaping equipment on City of Fruita Property or Parks under the following circumstances:

  • If photographs, motion pictures, or videos on city property will be made to sell the products to those users.
  • If photographs, motion pictures, or videos will be made under an existing contract to sell them.
  • If photographs, motion pictures, or videos of commercial products will be made on the City of Fruita Property for advertising purposes.
  • If the photography, motion picture, or video taking is reasonably likely to adversely affect the City of Fruita Property or its resources.

A fee is not required under the following circumstances:

  • Casual use of photography on the City of Fruita Property.
  • No permit is needed for Streets unless closure is needed 

What is commercial filming?

“Commercial filming” means the film, electronic, magnetic, digital, or other recording of a moving image by a person, business, or other entity for a market audience to generate income. Examples include, but are not limited to, feature films, videography, and documentaries. Commercial filming may include advertising a product or service or using actors, models, sets, or props.

Do I need a permit for still photography?

In most cases, still photography does not require a permit. A permit is required for still Commercial photography. Commercial Photography is a photographer selling images or files to a client or using the photos for commercial purposes. The following uses do not require a permit.

  • Casual use of photography on City of Fruita Property.


If I’m a social media influencer, do I need a permit?

Federal law requires a permit for all commercial filming, regardless of crew size or equipment type. This includes individuals or small groups that don’t use much equipment but generate revenue by posting footage on websites such as YouTube and TikTok. 

Regardless of size, all filmmakers must comply with all rules that apply in City, park areas, or facilities, just like other visitors.

How do I apply for a permit?

  • For Commercial Photographers and Videographers, Contact the City Parks and Rec Directly.
  • For Filmmaking that will require the closure of any park areas or street closures, Fill out the Special Event Application
  • Before planning your event, the City asks that you consider issues related to the following areas and your event’s impact on the City’s general functions, including everything from emergency responders’ access to roads to neighbors affected by ongoing noise to street closures, has implications on businesses, etc. If your event will cause inconveniences or disturbances, the City respectfully requests that you consider a range of alternatives to decrease those negative impacts as much as possible. Again, please contact the Parks and Recreation Department at 970- 858-0360 or for more information.
  • The City of Fruita charges a $25 non-refundable fee to review special events applications. A deposit of $100 per 1,000 attendees is required
  • All special event holders must furnish a certificate of general liability insurance policy covering claims that may arise due to the event, including participant and spectator liability. The policy must have a minimum limit of $1,000,000 per occurrence and $500,000 per person and must name the City of Fruita as additional insured and have date(s) of the event. The City cannot approve your application until receipt of proof of insurance. The request to your insurance carrier many times may be only a phone call and can be faxed to the City same day by your carrier. You may request a quote from the City’s insurance carrier, CIRSA, by requesting the application from Parks and Recreation Staff.
  • The Event Permit must be with you at all times.

What fees will I have to pay?

Fees are based on the number of days and the number of people including actors, models, and filming and support crew. Some additional fees may include street closures or facility use. 

Commercial Use Photo or Video Permit

  • Case by Case

Special Event Permit

  • $25 Application Fee – $100 Deposit

Need help or more info about obtaining a permit?

The Grand Junction Film Commission would love to help you with your permitting inquiries. If you are planning a production here in Western Colorado that requires Film or Photography Permits. Please contact us for more information and help.


Grand Junction Film Commission


About Us

Our Team


Film Incentives

Contact Us


Western Colorado Crew & Support

Colorado Crew & Support

Listing Request


Festivals & Events


Western Colorado Locations

Colorado Locations

Location Submission


Colorado National Monument


US Forest Service

Grand Junction